Sunday, March 30, 2014

My First Roti Experience Left Me Underwhelmed

Ali's Trinidad Roti Shop - Bedford Stuyvesant
1267 Fulton St., Brooklyn, NY


High reviews on the Internet and proximity to our apartment meant checking out Ali's Trinidad Roti Shop was inevitable. When I inquired if I should order the lamb, chicken, or beef, the friendly man behind the counter suggested chicken--it's the most popular.

Just a few minutes later we walked back to the apartment, roti in hand, to enjoy them on the couch. As this was my first roti experience, I was surprised to pull out a large pouch. Not open like a gyro or falafel, not neatly wrapped like a burrito, roti is corn tortilla stuffed to bursting with meat, potatoes, and a sauce that reminded me of the Indian style potatoes I ate with zeal at my Indian friend's house growing up. All the ingredients are packed in and messily folded into a full-bellied pouch.

Not quite as flavorful as an indian curry, the roti left me wanting. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but the "umph" just wasn't there--only chicken, potatoes, and sauce. No tang of tzatziki, no subcontinental spice, no Mexican picante. Of the ethnic wraps of the world, this one didn't do anything for me.

Ali's Trinidad Roti Shop was friendly, convenient, and good--but just not great. I won't be rushing back for more.


1 comment:

  1. Maybe next time tell them to add Jamaican spice. Or try a different one.

    ReplyDelete