Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bubby's Isn't Great Grandma's But It Still Tastes Homemade

Bubby's - TriBeCa
120 Hudson Street, New York, NY



When I imagine Bubby's I picture a tiny Jewish woman no taller than 4' 10" with wisps of grey and white curls and wrinkles that etched the 90 years of life deep into her smiling face. That's because I was lucky enough to have a Bubby--a great, great grandma, who gave me teddy bears and my first memories of Florida.

Bubby's in TriBeCa, on the other hand, is no where near as sweet, old, or even Jewish as my Bubby. Though my Bubby never cooked for me (that I can remember), I can't imagine that home cooked Huevos Rancheros ever came out of her kitchen.

Huevos Rancheros
Make no mistake. Bubby's isn't my image of Bubby, but it sure was great. The restaurant gives a warm feeling, starting with homemade pies that catch your gaze before being seated, then with the sunlit dining area, table tap water, and a menu that took its own time to digest.  



Warm pancakes quickly melted the dark chocolate chips sitting atop. I cut the sweetness by dipping into the side of poached eggs and bacon. What's better with breakfast than freshly squeezed juice? Bubby's has an exhaustingly enticing selection of juices and sodas. I was so overwhelmed I just opted for an old-school grapefruit juice.

Good company and good food made for a great morning. That day I ended up walking from the Financial District all the way up to the mid-50s; those pancakes made for great fuel. 

1 comment: