Sunday, January 12, 2014

Smorgas Chef Masters Hollandaise Sauce

Smorgas Chef - Financial District
53 Stone St., New York, NY 10004

There is a large birch tree in the middle of this restaurant. Even with a tree sticking up from the floor, the most memorable thing from this restaurant was the eggs Benedict trio. Three eggs, each perfectly prepared, each with a different garnish.

This dish often calls to me, but too often I am disappointed. The Hollandaise sauce is congealed; the English muffin isn't fresh or warm; grocery store meat sits under my egg. My standards for eggs Benedict are high, but when all the ingredients are fresh and fine and the eggs and sauce are artfully prepared, it is worth the treasure hunt. Next time I must try the crepes--they looked good even from my food coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment