Monday, January 20, 2014

Where's The Best Cheap Food In Manhattan? Chinatown.

Prosperity Dumpling - Chinatown
46 Eldridge Street, New York, NY 10002



I--along with every other New Yorker--bemoan a lack of good food in Manhattan at a price that doesn't make me feel like I'm being stabbed in the back as I buy it.

Chinatown is the only neighborhood in the city I know that sells most of its food under black market prices. And in Chinatown, I recommend Prosperity Dumpling.

It's a hole-in-the-wall dumpling joint--anything but glamorous. The floors are dirty and the menu mounted to the wall has been updated using black Sharpie. I squeeze through the doorway and stand quietly, shoulder-to-shoulder with the other patrons like a gang of meerkats.

But ten minutes after I place my order, I walk out with a mound of dumplings, an egg pancake, a few pork buns, and a tub of noodle soup. Dinner and leftovers for two just cost me less than $10.

Unlike at many Chinese-American restaurants, the dumpling skin is not too thick here. The veggie dumplings are packed full of exactly the chopped carrot and cabbage flavors I used to order late at night in Nanjing. Everything tastes a bit nostalgic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment